Thursday, November 04, 2004

Thomas P.M. Barnett :: Weblog

Mr. Barnett, as usual, cuts to the heart of the matter by sharing with us what he reads. He conveys to his reader so precisely his perception of where this great nation of ours stands each. And I... yeah... little ol' me... agree with so much of what he says. In fact, after reading the following, I find myself wondering when this guy plans on running for president himself. Though, I rather believe we're better served by him in his current role as one of our leading national security advisors/thinkers. I finally obtained "The Pentagon's New Map" and ernestly look forward to reading it.

The one downside for me in Mr. Barnett's post today was that my perception... albeit subtley... clashes with his when he metaphorically (I think I'm using this word right) compares the red states or "intragap" if you will, to the caboose of a train and the blue states to the engine, when he states:

"And what they are saying is what I have often said: no matter how long the train nor how fast it's moving, the engine cannot go any faster than the caboose."

And even if he doesn't quite include himself with the "they" in this statement, when he says this election reminds him in many ways of the "backward-glancing social conservatism of China's 4th generation of leaders", I clench my teeth ever so slightly.

Wisdom and intelligence are surely born out of disciplined application of the knowledge and truth one diligently seeks. One should not automatically associate belief and faith with a slow going approach to embracing social change and "outwardly directed integration". "Being in the world but not of the world" does not preclude reaching out to one's neighbor with sincere non-judgemental acceptance and love, any more than doing what one can to slow down and even reverse the state of affairs Robert H. Bork's book title "Slouching towards Gomorrah" so aptly describes, is... "backward glancing".

America's engine has much to learn, and more importantly, remember from her much maligned caboose. But then how can you take seriously anyone who seriously takes God seriously. Dan



Thomas P.M. Barnett :: Weblog: "Getting over myself on this election"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home